Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Pillowcase Dresses for Africa

Kristen from We Are That Family is collecting pillowcase dresses for an organization called Little Dresses for Africa. I was so inspired by her post, that I decided to make a couple to send.



I have always wanted to make a pillowcase dress and this was the perfect opportunity to do so. I decided to make two at a time and it worked out really well. I used the pattern the organization provides which is super easy.



I used fabric that I had been given by a friend rather than a pillowcase. I didn't have bias tape so I made my own using the same fabric. I had never made bias tape before and couldn't believe how easy it was to do so following this tutorial. The pockets are actually the sleeves from a woman's blouse that I got at the thrift store.



Lastly I used a decorative stitch for the hem as a way to give it a little extra touch.



I told Kristen that I would make ten of these, so I have eight more to go. I'm sure you'll see pictures along the way.

If you are interested in helping, please check Kristen's blog or the Little Dresses for Africa's blog. I just read that they are in need of boy shorts in sizes 8/10 and under. I think I'll start working on some of those too. Anyone want to join me in a boy short challenge???

Proudly linking to: Thrifty Thursday, Frugalicious Friday

make it wear it giveaways Get your craft on Thurs.

Extreme Personal Measures

10 comments:

Audra said...

This is so crazy. I was just at a thrift store today watching the nicest lady sort through all the pillow cases and selecting the prettiest floral patterns and designs. She had her arms full so I offered her my basket as I only had two items.

She was then in front of me at the check out. She let me go ahead of her since I had paid her a kindness as she called it. I asked her what she was going to do with all these lovely pillow cases and she said "I am going to make my little girls in Africa dresses".

I seriously got a little misty eyed as she told me about the dresses and described how to make them. Then I come home and see your post and it has to do with the same organization and dresses.

Great work you ladies are doing! There will be some pleased little ladies in their cool and comfortable dresses you have made for them.

Jenny said...

What a fantastic cause, and an adorable dress to boot. Great job all around!

found you on life as lori!

http://iheartjennysart.com

Traveling Thrifter said...

Thank you for sharing this...I'm going to make a few of them and send them out ! Such a great way to share talent

Threeundertwo said...

So sweet and what a great cause! Finished for Friday will go up in a few hours. Hope to see you link up then!

Jen S. said...

Thank you for sharing about this project. When I found Craft Hope, I was bummed that I had missed the pillowcase dress project. Hopefully I can get one done for this project!

Michelle said...

What an adorable little dress--and for such a wonderful cause!

Roslyn said...

Bet they are fast & easy too!

MandiCoulter said...

such cute dresses and even better out of thrifted pillowcases and for a great cause! I would love to take part in a boy short challenge...I have 2 small boys and could use the practice :) you can find me here -
http://commonthreadskingston.blogspot.com/

miamihoney said...

Wow, so cute and what a great cause. I think I would like to do a few myself. Hopefully, I will be able to make one half as cute as yours!

MessyMissy said...

Great idea. What a nice cause.... making pillowcase dress?? They are so much fun. And, simple!!