Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mardi Gras King's Cake

This morning while I was getting the kids ready for school I decided I wanted to make a special treat for dessert tonight. I did a quick search online and found this recipe for Mardi Gras King's Cake. Tomorrow is the beginning of Lent, so we will be giving up many treats in our house. I figured this was a good way to say goodbye to them :)

My son had his 3 year check-up this morning, so I knew I wouldn't be able to dedicate time to the dough. I decided to put all the ingredients in my bread maker and was pleasantly surprised when I got home. The dough had risen very nicely. I need to use my bread maker more often!

I rolled it into a rectangle and filled it with a mixture of chocolate chips and melted butter. This is by no means the traditional filling, but I know my family and their tastes.

Here it is formed into a ring, waiting for the second rise.

I thought my ring looked a bit chubby (I should have made the rectangle longer but was in a rush) so I put a glass in the middle so it would hold it's shape better while rising.

Forty five minutes later I brushed it with an egg wash and made the slits per the recipe.

And this is what came out of the oven thirty minutes later. I love the brown tone that the egg wash gives baked goods. This very much resembles "Roscón de Reyes" which is something we eat in Spain around the holidays.


My daughter and I decided to spice up the icing a bit and after some drizzling here is our King Cake!


This will be lovely with a nice cup of Hazelnut coffee, talk to you soon!

Proudly linking to:

Tip Junkie handmade projects Creations by Kara http://www.thethriftyhome.comShow and Tell Green
NightOwlCrafting giveaways Katie's Nesting Spot
PhotobucketBubbly Nature
Photobucket
Photobucket UndertheTableandDreamingChic & Crafty Weekly Link-Up Party!

10 comments:

Audra Lynn said...

Looks great! Is there a baby inside? :)

Jess said...

YAY! This looks awesome! Happy Fat Tuesday! And Happy Mardi Gras!

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

There is certainly a baby inside! Thanks for stopping by :)

Kim said...

Yum, yum, yum. Ugh, you have me dying over here. Why do you have to live so far away?

Jill said...

Ooooh, that looks yummy! Being from the Northwest, we totally miss out on the Mardi Gras fun. I didn't even realize it came and went!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I've been thinking about making a King Cake, but from the looks of yours, it could be detrimental to my waistline & hips. I'm a new follower, & I hope you will check out my blog & follow back if you find it interesting.
CAS

Anne Maskell said...

Oh, it looks wonderful! I'd love a piece right now!

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

Sounds yummy and looks that way too!!!
http://willcookforsmiles.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Looks very yummy!!

Heidi @ The Frugal Girls said...

That looks soooo delish! I especially love that fun drizzled topping! :)