Sunday, September 18, 2011

Barbie & Ken Clothes

My daughter spends most of her "playtime" after school playing with her Barbie dolls. She got a huge dollhouse for Christmas that has been seen a lot of action in the last eight months. She has been asking me to make clothes for her Barbie dolls for a while and I have been doing a lot of research online since the smallest items I had ever sewn were for her American Girl doll (see here) and those are much bigger. I finally found a couple tutorials online and decided to try. There are definitely a lot more patterns for Barbie dolls than for Ken dolls.

This is the sundress I made for Barbie. I used the following free pattern for Barbie doll dress: here. You have to check out Jess @ Craftiness is not Optional, she has a ton of Barbie tutorials available for free!

I was intimidated at first because it involves pleats, but the tutorial is amazing and super easy to make! The fabric is from a pair of old shorts that my mom had stashed away in her closet.

It was harder to find something for Ken but he really needed pants as my daughter had lost his shorts. I finally found this tutorial: here. This item was a lot more complicated than the dress, in part because pants are just so much harder for me. And secondly because I used denim which isn't as easy to work with.

I'm am really happy with how they turned out, especially the cuffs at the bottom. I plan to make more with different fabrics including some jersey I have leftover from another project. Everyone needs comfty pants, even Ken!

The happy couple oh so stylish in their new outfits. I can't wait to sew more items for them. Please let me know if you know of any free patterns online for Barbie or Ken dolls, this is addicting!

Proudly linking to:

Making Making your home sing Mondays Sumo Sweet Stuff Keeping It Simple
Passionately Artistic Creations by Kara http://www.thethriftyhome.com
Show and Tell Green
NightOwlCrafting


8 comments:

Crafty Mischief said...

They look great! My mom made my girls some Barbie clothes for Christmas last year but I haven't attempted it myself. I need to though, especially for our Ken dolls (I think we have 8, how did that happen?) bc half of them are naked! Thanks for sharing!

momstheword said...

Awwww, how cute! You could even make Barbie match her own outfit (if you made both outfits, obviously).

My mom used to make Barbie clothes for my doll and I loved it! Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday.

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh such fond memories! Loved making clothes for my dollies, too. Great that you can share this with your little ones!
Hugs,
Patti

Cecylia said...

hehehe so cute!! I love what you've done with the prints!!
Come follow my blog sweetheart! xx

Anna-Leigh said...

This is awesome! Thanks for the info. We've collected a few naked Barbies from Goodwill, now maybe I can cover them up!

Lindsay said...

My girls would go crazy for this! You did a really great job! I am so glad you shared this @ Show & Share! Thanks so much!

Linda said...

I found your blog through Pinterest while searching for Barbie. If you are looking for more free patterns for Barbie and Ken please stop by and see my Pinterest board "Barbie and Dolls", here: http://pinterest.com/lindasusang/barbie-and-dolls/ There are many link ups to free and awesome patterns and clothing ideas.

Dogeelady said...

Nobody wants to just look at your cloths. I make Barbie and Ken too but you don't see me showing them off here. Show us how to make them! Maybe you have an easier way to make them than we do!