Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fabric covered summer journal

One of my favorite things to look at from my childhood is my old journals. I found quite a couple while cleaning my mom's house this summer and they inspired me to make one for my daughter. Her preschool teacher had her keep one during the year, so she was already used to the idea.

I simply took a composition journal and covered the front cover with fabric. In order to make the inside look a tad more polished I added some scrapbook paper. The ribbons are cutesy but also serve to close the journal. We brought this journal everywhere and she journaled at the end of the day before going to bed.

She's starting Kindergarten in a couple of weeks and I know we'll always treasure the memories from this last summer before school. Just this morning I got teary-eyed looking through it, I love how she interpreted the different things we did together.


Have a great week!

Proudly linking to:
Making Making your home sing Mondays Sumo Sweet Stuff Keeping It Simple mmm button The Girl Creative Get Your Craft On Tuesday Tip Junkie handmade projects Creations by Kara http://www.thethriftyhome.com Show and Tell Green NightOwlCrafting


12 comments:

momstheword said...

What a precious treasure that will be someday! You have the best ideas!

I love looking in my childrens' memory boxes. It's like a walk down memory lane of pictures, and cards, and things that they wrote. They enjoy it too, lol!

Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday.

tousled day said...

This is nice. I always buy fancy notebooks. This is great idea how to make my owns. Thanks!

Melanie said...

How cute! Thanks so much for sharing!


I'd love to have you visit our first linky party this Thursday! It's a party specifically for kids and teenagers craft and other ideas, so your idea will be absolutely perfect! Hope you'll stop by!

bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Margaret said...

Very cute. I still have a few of my old journals and there's memories trapped in them that I had long ago forgot. I'm sure your little one will enjoy reading it when she's older.

annies home said...

many ladies including my mom and my daughters kept and keep journals they hold many memories that they can share

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute idea! She will treasure it someday looking back.

Found you through the We Did It Wednesday linkup!

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

wao..its amazing..you are a so talented my dear!
Lots of love
Thanks

Susan @ Second Chances by Susan said...

What a great idea! It makes me wish I would have done the same for each of my eight kids. But, alas, they are mostly grown, well, except for the caboose, who is seven. Although, maybe I could do this with the grandkids!! Thanks!

Sara said...

Such a neat and easy idea! I will have to try this soon :)

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

This post made me smile. Thanks for inspiring me and many others to even attempt this feat. Really appreciate that you linked up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Just wanted to let you know I featured your idea as the Teen's project idea of the week! Thanks for linking up- hope to see you again this week!


Melanie
bearrabbitbear@hotmail.com

Carolyn said...

What an excellent idea! Makes it more personnal for treasured thoughts.