Monday, May 17, 2010

Numbered Jars Tutorial

I blame my lack of posting on my new toy... the Cricut! My wonderful husband and kids got it for me for Mother's Day and I am addicted. Last week's clothing challenge kept me away from it, but as soon as that was over, I knew what my next few projects would entail.

I got these jars at Goodwill a couple of weeks ago as I wanted to recreate this look from Pottery Barn.



First step is to wash the jars and dry them really well. Then create the stencil. This was very easy with the Cricut. I simply typed out the numbers and made sure to press FLIP. I used freezer paper and placed the shiny side down on the sticky mat. I used medium for both settings, and 2" for size.



Carefully peel the stencil off the mat- I wasn't careful enough and the three ripped a tad.



Place stencil on the jars with tape. I used painter's tape because we have some around the house since my husband is painting the living room, but you could use any type of tape.



Then using your preferred type of paint, color in the stencil. I used an acrylic paint in black. I tried to smudge the edges a bit on purpose to give it a more rustic look.



Let the jars dry and fill! I'm not sure if this is what will go in them forever, but it works for now since they are going on top of the cabinets in the kitchen.



1: Chickpeas



2: Rice



3: Pinto beans



Their destination, for now!



I created an additional stencil while making these today and will show you the finished product at some point this week. I'm so excited about my Cricut machine and can't wait to use it to cut out fabric!!!

Proudly linking to:

DIY Day @ ASPTL
Creations by Kara http://www.thethriftyhome.com Show and Tell Green

12 comments:

raggygirlvintage said...

They look amazing, pottery barn here she comes!!
Tracey

Clean Mama said...

Love it! I am a sucker for jars and numbers, now all I need is a Cricut ;)

malia said...

visiting from take a look tuesday... great project. now i want a cricut!

Melissa said...

I want a Cricut soooo badly! But as much as the Mr. spoils me, he draws the line at this lol. Can't say I blame him. These look great though! I like the simplicity of it.

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Cute! I receive a Silhouette for Mother's Day and am still waiting for an opportunity to use it. How exciting! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!

Ginger said...

Look'n good! Link it up to Mad Skills Monday! See ya!

Ginger
SSB

Decor To Adore said...

Oh what a great DIY project. You are one clever and crafty girl.

I just finished a project that took 23 years to complete.
Come take a peek.

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

WOW! These are seriously fabulous. You have inspired me to spruce up my kitchen canisters. Don't you just love your new cricut?! Ahhh good times :)

Corna said...

Oh wow I would love to have a Cricut! Lucky! Those are really cute!

Amy said...

These jars are so cute. I love the beans, they make really cute decorations. Thanks for sharing this great tutorial!

elizabeth said...

I love these jars! And when I saw that you made them using the Cricut, well I am so there. Thanks for sharing a great tutorial.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

These are really cute! I love anything numbered.

I love my cricut, too. I've never even noticed the flip button! Thanks!