Thursday, February 11, 2010

Heart Crafts

Crafts are how I escape the craziness that is my life since quitting my job and becoming a stay at home mom. I've been wanting to start some sort of craft journal, so here we go!



A couple of days ago my daughter suggested that we decorate for Valentines day. While the little one took a nap she helped me gather some items and I started to work. First I made a heart garland to decorate the window above our informal dining room.


This is very easy project, inspired by Rae, that can be completed in a couple of hours. I traced a heart on different colored felt sheets and cut them out while watching my favorite tv show. During one of the commercials I sewed the hearts together using invisible thread. It turned out to be too long for the window, so we used the rest for the kids kitchen.



The second Valentines project was a simple banner inspired by Somewhat Simple. I traced a triangle shape on some patterned fabric from my stash and then sewed them on to matching bias tape. This was SO EASY to make, I can't wait to make birthday ones for each member of the family.



We pulled some other items that we had around and soon the house was ready for an afternoon tea party. My daughter couldn't have been happier with the end result and I had a blast escaping to my craft room for a couple of hours- win, win.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great ideas and beautiful pictures!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

Patti! That looks so great! I am getting a post together featuring crafts my readers have done from things they found on my blog and I am going to mention this, if that is ok?
Thanks for visiting my blog!
-Steph

You'll find out..... said...

Pati, I love how festive your crafts make your home. I may have to hire you....

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

@ Heather: Thank you!

@Steph: I am humbled that you would want to metion me in your blog! Yes, please! :)

@Erika: Let me know what you like, I can hook you up!

janimal said...

Very cool! I have had a hard time sewing bias tape with my old machine. I got a new one yesterday so I am going to follow your lead and try my hand at a banner. Thanks for sharing.