Thursday, July 1, 2010

Patriotic Stars Cake



Happy *early* 4th of July!!! This past Tuesday was my last fondant cake decorating class and this was my final cake. It is probably one of my favorite cakes that I have decorated so far. It is very simple but I absolutely love how the colors pop, and for once I am happy with how smooth my fondant looks. It was super easy too!



The teacher went over how to cover a cake and showed us four different borders. I was initially thinking about doing the multi-colored balls one, but then thought one color would look better. I will probably use the balls one when doing a more whimsical cake. The other two borders were very delicate, almost looked like lace. They would be perfect for a bridal or baby shower cake.



This 4th of july funfetti cake mix was the inspiration for the cake. I knew the kids would love it and I thought it would be a neat idea for a final cake. The frosting is whipped vanilla, a favorite in our house.



My daughter has been my biggest fan and would stay up to see what I had made in each class. She absolutely LOVED the star cake and today asked if I would help her make one with play dough. I also taught her how to make some easy roses, see in the top left corner. She was bummed that we didn't have white play dough and instead had to use yellow for the base. Here is her creation:



Thank you so much for visiting and have a great 4th of July!

Proudly linking to:

SYS Thurs

2 comments:

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

How great! I so want to make pretty cakes! It turned out great. How cute that you made one with your daughter too.

CK said...

Wow! That looks like a lot of fun.