Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Freezer Paper Patterns



Freezer paper patterns are the answer to preserving your favorite patterns. I used to trace the size I needed onto tissue paper but realized that wasn't very durable. My sewing teacher recommended I use freezer paper instead, and WOW- it's amazing. First, the freezer paper is a lot sturdier. And secondly, you can iron the wax paper onto the fabric and simply cut around instead of having to pin it down. Once you've cut it out you can peel the paper of and save it to use again. This is perfect for kid patterns since they change sizes so often. In six months I'll trace the next size onto freezer paper and have a new pattern. I used the one in the picture 6 times! It's so much easier and faster than pinning and cutting that way. I think it's safe to say the little guy is all set on shorts for this summer!

P.S. If you want to do this simply trace the pattern on the paper/dull side and then iron the waxy side onto the fabric. Easy-peasy!

Proudly linking to:

Creations by Kara http://www.thethriftyhome.comShow and Tell Green
NightOwlCrafting


4 comments:

Jen said...

Thank you for posting this! I have been looking for an easy way to trace patterns and had forgotten that I could use freezer paper. I have way to much of it since all the store had when I bought it was the giant box!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

This is a great tip! I will use this idea! I am feauturing it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com Grab my "featured" Button.

Stef said...

Oh wow! I think you just changed my life! I absolutely despise trying to pin down a pattern and then keep it flush with the fabric while I cut it out. This just really completely bumps up my motivation level times a thousand. THANK YOU!!

Leslie said...

What a fabulous tip! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!